Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Lions Club in Camden

Well this was a very nice speaking engagement today and a nice lunch at the local country club. The Lions Club meets every Wednesday at lunch and they are very involved with community activites in Camden. Thanks, Dr. Dietrich, for the invitation to speak. I met folks I did not know, but was pleased to see a number of people I already knew. Everyone seemed to enjoy what I told them about the book mother and I wrote and about her life as she grew up on the farms. Hon. John Dawson said he milked a cow as a young lad and always gave the cat, waiting nearby, a squirt of fresh milk. Mayor Claybaker said he did not grow up on a farm, and was very glad. Dr. Nunnaly is a local historian and invited me to stop by his home to see his home that was built in 1870 here in Camden and to meet his wife who recently redecorated it. It was good to see Judge Singleton there as we worked together many years when I worked with DHS and the juvenile court system. We have just one more book event this spring, in Monroe, May 9th at the Stubbs Avenue Public Library. Then my husband and I, along with two grandchildren, head north to Alaska for the summer. This blog will then become a way for our friends and family to see where we are along the path as we travel to Alaska and back home. I forgot my camera today and failed to get a picture of the group. Sorry.

No comments: